Courtney Stubbert is a vi$ual arti$t, de$igner, & mu$ician living in the Pacific Northwest.
While his formal training is in graphic design and visual communication, he works across different mediums, investigating the breakdown of systems - whether it be language, sound, or the frailty of ideologies. Image-making allows Courtney to investigate the way we experience and process our beliefs, interpersonal or digital interactions, and the eventual decay of those constructs. His visual vocabulary combines his interests in appropriation, process, pop culture, dad jokes, and platform capitalism.
In 2012 he co-founded Eugene Contemporary Art, an initiative established to support emerging artists working across conceptual and critical disciplines. In 2019 ECA opened its second physical locaion, ANTI-AESTHETIC. Prior to this, ECA launched the podcast Bottleracks & Fountains.
From 2012-2019 he served on the City of Eugene’s Public Art Committee. This experience formed an ongoing interest in how the arts engage in policy, city government, and can be both supported and manipulated by those who are not art makers. He is committed to developing creative and professional partnerships across the arts and cultural landscape of his hometown and beyond.
He has been a visual designer for over 20 years, and since 2014 has freelanced under the name Artsdigital.co. He specializes in user experience design, design strategy, graphic identities and visual communication for businesses and organizations. Just to double down on his skills, by day he is a Senior UX Designer at Ad Hoc, developing human-centered experiences for the public and private sector.
Courtney lives in Eugene, OR, with his three children, and wife, Kari. They are great.
Exhibitions & Performances
- EDME New Music Festival, 2022, Eugene, OR [Free Static]
- PhonoMorphoIdiot, ANTI-AESTHETIC, Eugene, OR, 2022 [Group]
- ECA Sellz Out!, ANTI-AESTHETIC, Eugene, OR, 2021 [Group]
- View of the Red Forest, Woodshop Projects, Corvallis, OR, 2019 [Free Static]
- View of the Red Forest, Drawn, Eugene, OR, 2019 [Free Static]
- Old Bones Upon the Valley Shake, Slightly Coffee, Eugene, OR, 2017 [Collab with Julia Oldham & Jesse Rose Vala]
- Gas & Cables, Funagain Games, Eugene, OR, 2017 [Free Static]
- Pushpin Ephemera, ArtsDigital, Eugene, OR, 2015 [Group]
- Drawing as Language, Wave Gallery, Eugene, OR, 2012 [Group]
- Modified Structures, Voyuer Gallery, Eugene, OR, 2011 [Solo]
- Recent paintings, Drawings, Objects, Pucinelli Gallery, Eugene, OR, 2006 [Solo]
- Open Studio, Blue Tower, Eugene, OR, 2005 [Group]