Back in May I completed a set of murals at GMA Architecture in Eugene, Oregon. Along with two wall pieces I did a triptych on maple panels (shown above), as well as a series of collages on paper using materials the architects provided me - renderings, conceptual sketches - mixed with my own abstract shapes. I still need to get these properly photographed with everything in its right place.
Most of my painting work is fairly messy and process oriented, but this was a good opportunity to use a lot of the bold, graphic ideas that tend to only show up in digital projects. Everything I put on the walls was in fact designed in Illustrator, and then either projected or in the case of the entry wall, drawn in place using a grid. I've been using broken letterforms a lot in newer work still in process, and they are derived from discarded stencil letter shapes.
Much thanks to Joe and Danny at GMA. It was a fun weekend of late nights and podcast listening in order to get it all done between the work week. Looking forward to doing some more work like this.